Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through..."

"Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind."
(Georgia On My Mind, Michael Buble)

I think Georgia is just a placeholder. I mean, lots of people really love this song. I really, REALLY love this song. And let's face it, hearing Michael Buble sing the very first "Georgia" in his version (I have yet to buy the cd, and I'm hearbroken until I get it) makes me float away into a fantasy world where Michael and I are walking down the aisle. (Irony much, Mer?)
Back to the placeholder theory:
Everyone, everywhere has the name of a person or place that they can insert into the song. There is always someone you can't get off your mind. Sometimes it's a good thing... sometimes it's not a good thing.
I'm completely addicted to the fact that a song, a 3-minute piece of artistic genius has the ability to snap one back in time and hold us there. It's crazy. But it's awesome at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment